The Whitechapel Art Gallery
Trustee Limited is a private
limited company registered in
England and Wales.
Registered company no. 4093862
Registered charity no. 312162
Vat no. 244 934 253
4 June 2007
Artists give away art works for free as part of First Thursdays
As Damien Hirst creates the most expensive work of art to date, across
town in East London artists give away their work for free as part of
First Thursdays – Late night art and events in East London.
Taking place in Hoxton Square, London, on Thursday 7 June, artists will give away their work for free in an event called Art for Nothing! – a chance to give or receive art as part of an open performance at the Hoxton Square Gallery, London N1, between 6 – 9pm. The event is part of Time Out First Thursdays - Late night art and events in East London, which opens up over 80 of the most cutting-edge contemporary art galleries and popular museums across East London until 9pm on the first Thursdays of every month.
Artists including Kate Buckley, Kirsty Harris, Mark Jason Kemp, Jonny Reding, Lawrence Taylor and the Brid A Art Collective from Slovenia have been invited to display their work on the railings and in the park in Hoxton Square and give it away for free. Members of the public are invited to come along and will be given vouchers to acquire the work on display and being created specially on the night. If demand for one work is high, vouchers will be drawn from hat to decide who gets to take the work away.
The event is organised by Richard Maddalena of the Hoxton Square Gallery, who said; ‘I am giving art away so people can get on with experiencing the art on its own terms without the anxiety of paying for it. I can concentrate on my art without the anxiety of whether it sells; and participating artists may have many different reasons for wanting to give away their work for free.’
Further First Thursdays highlights for Thursday 7 June include;.
- Last chance to see British photographer Martin Parr’s exhibition A8 + Parking Spaces at Rocket Gallery.
- Free poetry at the Whitechapel
- with at the Whitechapel, 7pm.
- Free guided art tours to some of the best shows in East London on special bus tours.
- Special curator led-tour of New Blood show of the new crop of Magnum photographers with Sophie Wright, Head of Exhibitions and Print Room at Magnum Photos, 7pm. PTO
- Live jazz from the award-winning Jim Hart at the Museum of London from 6pm.
- Live performance art at V22 Gallery from 7pm and Weibke Morgan Gallery from 7.30pm.
- Artist’s talks from contemporary London, Lausanne and Geneva based artists at Fieldgate Gallery from 7pm.
Time Out First Thursdays is organised by Whitechapel and Parasol Unit and other participating galleries include: Ancient & Modern, Barbican Art
Gallery, Bloomberg Space, Chisenhale, The Drawing Room, Hauser & Wirth Coppermill, Herald Street, Hotel, Kate MacGarry, Matt’s Gallery, Museum in Docklands, Museum of London, Victoria Miro, and Vilma Gold.
Time Out First Thursdays offers an alternative way for friends and city workers to socialise after work and a chance for art lovers to see exhibitions out of hours. After following one of the specially curated tours, seeing an exhibition preview or listening to cutting edge music and poetry, visitors can round off the evening in East London’s many buzzy bars and restaurants.
East London is Europe’s largest cultural quarter and home to thousands of artists and over 160 galleries. Time Out First Thursdays is a late night chance to see and invest in art, creating a new social and cultural experience in one of the most vibrant destinations in London.
Visit to sign up for monthly e-newsletters and find out about special events, itineraries and art tour information. Pocket-sized First Thursdays East End Art Maps are available at each venue and across London.
Time Out First Thursdays is generously supported by Arts Council England, the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and Time Out.
Iwona Blazwick, Director, Whitechapel, comments ‘East London is the best place to see contemporary art, and as home to some of the most exciting artists in the world it really is the creative engine of London. The Whitechapel hopes that by all the galleries coming together and opening late on the First Thursday of every month more people will get a chance to see the art and the area.’
Notes for Editors
- Time Out First Thursdays is organised by Whitechapel and Parasol Unit and generously supported by Arts Council England, the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and Time Out.
- Time Out First Thursdays is organised by Whitechapel and Parasol Unit and other participating galleries include: Ancient & Modern, Artcadia Lifestyle Ltd, Artists Anonymous, Art Space Gallery Michael Richardson Contemporary Art, Associates, Barbican Art Gallery, Bischoff/Weiss, The Brick Lane Gallery, Canary Wharf Group plc, Cell Project Space, Contemporary Art Projects, Cubitt Gallery and Studios, Elastic Residence, E:vent, f-art, Fieldgate Gallery, Flowers East, FRED, HOTEL, Gallery Primo Alonso, Gone Tomorrow Gallery, Hales Gallery, Hauser & Wirth Coppermill, Host Gallery, Hoxton Hall Window Space, Hoxton Square Gallery, Kate MacGarry, Keith Talent, Lesley Craze Gallery, Lounge, Magnum Photos, Matt’s Gallery, Maureen Paley, Museum in Docklands, Museum of London, One in the Other, Oxford House, Paradise Row, Parasol unit foundation for contemporary art, Rachmaninoff’s, Seven Seven Contemporary Art, Seventeen, Standpoint Gallery, Store, studio1.1, The Drawing Room, Transition Gallery, Union Teesdale Street, V22, Victoria Miro Gallery, Whitechapel Project Space, Wiebke Morgan.
Participating galleries and museums will open late until 9pm on the First Thursday of every month ie Thursday 7 June, Thursday 5 July, Thursday 2 August and ongoing.
For further press information please contact:
Rachel Mapplebeck on 020 7522 7880, 07811 456 806 or email
Elizabeth Flanagan on 020 75227871 or email ElizabethFlanagan@whitechapel.org